As the weekend approaches, many of us are looking for something to do. Whether you're spending less as you plan for your future or just tired of the same old neighborhood places, here are 20 fun and inexpensive date ideas to keep you busy.
1. Pick up wine, cheese, and a blanket or lawn chairs and watch the sunset
2. Go to a free festival or farmer's market
3. Take a bike ride and stop for a picnic
4. Get a group together for a night of board games or charades
5. Plan a day trip to a nearby city you've never visited
6. Rent a canoe or kayaks and explore the waterways
7. Go fishing
8. Host a field day with volleyball, badminton, croquet...ask everyone to bring food or drinks
9. Take a ballroom dancing or salsa class
10. Walk, bike, or skate your local trails
11. Challenge yourself at an indoor rock climbing gym
12. Visit a museum
13. Catch a movie in the park or a drive-in show. Bring your own popcorn
14. Paint portraits of each other
15. Play miniature golf
16. If you have snow, go sledding or snow tubing
17. If you have warm weather, spend a day at the beach
18. Take your dogs to a dog park
19. Do a walking tour of your city. Share memories of your life there as you go
20. Cook dinner together and have a movie marathon
If you're engaged or married, continue weekly dates throughout your marriage. According to Scott Stanley, Ph.D, about 40% of young couples marrying today will divorce unless we do something in society to change that. Don't grow apart as a couple. Make time for each other and continue "dating" long after your vows are said. Continuing to date your mate allows you to try new things and grow together as you share experiences.
I'd love to hear about unique and/or inexpensive dates you've gone on. Send in your favorites and I'll post them on Tickled Pink.